Monday, October 28, 2013

Miracles and socialized health care



Oct 28 at 8:45 AM

When I’m with one of the elders in my house, elder Kelly, it`s impossible not to have success. We went on a split the other day and in that one day, we had two people come up to us and ask us if they can be taught. Neither of us knows of that happening with anyone else. Then by the end of the day, when we didn’t have any more citas, we decided do go to the edge of Lota, where the forest starts. Whenever there is a fork in the road we decide left or right and keep going. We followed a small train until we came to a big house and a big family that seemed way excited to listen to us. They gave us some bread that they cooked in their brick oven and sent us on our way. On the way home, we set dates with 3 more people. We aren`t sure why we are so successful together but we can`t complain.

The next day, my comp and I decided to go back to the house in the woods but when we got there, the house was covered in plastic. The entire house. The next thing I know, my comp is half way back down the trail and there is a pack of about 5 giant dogs charging full speed. I was always told not to run in these situations so in the moment when dogs got to about 5 feet from me I jumped forward and threw my arms up. It worked for a second and it stopped them but afterwards I froze because now that I have waged war, there is no good way to end it. I took a step back in my half frozen state and all I feel is the mouth of one of the dogs wrapped around my leg and a lot of pressure. I gave up and ran back down and luckily, the dogs wouldn`t leave the property so we quickly went home and did the best we could with dish soap and water. We called the mission office and they told us to go to the hospital. Conveniently, Chile has socialized health care so I just had to give them my name and they pushed me back into a room where we waited for a while until they called be back, without my Spanish speaking comp, and I explained to the best of my ability what happened. They gave me a shot and some pills, which I assume is for rabies, and told me to come back in a month.

Talking to some of the members here, it seems like everything is fine with what they gave me. So the biggest thing is just fixing my suit pants.

In other news, I got your letter. Thanks for the talk and the collage. Emily is probably going to be a famous collage maker at this rate. Also, I love the updates of everybody’s lives that I get every week. Keep it up!

That’s all for this week. As always, I love you guys! 

Elder Thompson

Ps. Don´t worry about the dog bite. I really am fine now.


pps. What is the name of the elder in our ward that knows me from the MTC?

No comments:

Post a Comment